HouseCalls is check-in care that comes to you
Did you know you can set up a yearly preventive care visit at home?
UnitedHealthcare® HouseCalls — our yearly in-home health and wellness service — is a health plan feature for Medicare and Medicaid members, offered at no additional cost to you. It’s a way to help our members stay on top of their health between regular doctor visits.
Why is a HouseCalls visit a good idea?
Benjamin Franklin said it best, “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” We agree. The goal of our preventive care visits is to help you maintain your independence and continue doing what you love long into the future. We know there’s no way to prevent all health emergencies and accidents, but we believe that by taking care of yourself, you may be able to improve your odds of avoiding them. That’s where HouseCalls comes in.
What to expect during a HouseCalls visit
During a HouseCalls visit, you’ll meet with the same types of professionals you’d see in a doctor’s office — a licensed physician, nurse practitioner or medical assistant. They’ll answer your health-related questions, perform a physical exam and offer a health screening in the comfort of your own home. If you choose, your family members, loved ones or caregivers are welcome to sit in on this visit and ask additional questions. A typical visit will range from 45 minutes to a full hour.
The results of your exam and screening will be forwarded to your primary care provider (PCP) and you’ll receive a summary of your visit in the mail.
During your visit, here are some typical topics you’ll cover
- An overview of your medical history and prescription medications
- Conversations about overall well-being, like how to help you stay active, sleep well and manage stress
- Tips on to help you avoid trip hazards in your home
- Community resources and support
Open the door to the convenience of a medical visit in your home
Meet with licensed medical staff on your schedule, in the convenience of your home. Once they arrive, talk about health concerns at your pace (the visits are focused on you and you alone). Use the results to help coordinate care with your doctor.
- Be prepared to provide a urine sample during your visit—drink fluids in advance
- Wear shoes or slippers that are easy to remove (your feet will be checked)
- Know where to find medication bottles so they are ready to review
- If applicable, have blood pressure readings available for review
- If you have diabetes, please provide blood sugar test results, as well as your blood glucose meter
Remember, at the end of your visit, you’ll receive a personalized checklist of topics to discuss with your doctor at your next appointment. Plus, you and your doctor will receive a mailed summary of your visit.
Want more good news?
HouseCalls is included at no extra cost in most Medicare and Medicaid members as part of your health plan.1 Schedule at a convenient time and we’ll come to you.
Call to request a visit 1-866-799-5895, TTY 711, Monday – Friday 8 a.m. – 8:30 p.m. ET
For medical emergencies, call 911.