Piriformis syndrome is considered rare, but is a possibility post- endometrial cancer treatments. It’s important to know the signs and symptoms of it, and some ways that you can better cope with pain and spasms in this muscle. Piriformis syndrome treatment is easier than you might think. We’ve got tips on piriformis syndrome massage, medications, stretches, and as a last resort piriformis syndrome surgery if traditional measures aren’t helping you recover.
What is Piriformis Syndrome?
The piriformis muscle is located above the glutes and runs along the sciatic nerve. Piriformis syndrome refers to pain and spasms in this muscle that impact the sciatic nerve in a way that appears to be sciatica, but isn’t. There are some steps you can take to alleviate the pain and spasms that accompany this condition:
- Learn Your Triggers. By figuring out what causes you pain and when, you can start to shift your routine to match your changing body. If you notice that intense exercises like bicycling or running cause spasms, take a break from them for a while.
- Stretch & exercise. There are a few stretches that can help this muscle and alleviate the symptoms. Check with your doctor to make sure these motions won’t impact your body negatively after treatment.
- Cool Pads & Heating Pads. Start by using cooling pads and alternate between cooling and heating pads. Some people find more relief with one over the other. Experiment to figure out what’s best for you.
- Over-the-Counter Medication. Over-the-counter NSAIDs like ibuprofen can help with the pain and inflammation of the muscle. Check with your doctor to make sure this won’t interact with your treatments.
- Piriformis Syndrome Massage. Having your piriformis muscle, glutes and legs massaged can also aid in the healing of the muscle. Talk to a professional about the pain you’re having so they are able to help you feel your best.
- Piriformis Syndrome Surgery. In some cases, surgery may be needed. Talk with your doctor about the symptoms you’re having to see if that’s warranted in this situation.
Learn More About Piriformis Syndrome at OneVillage
Regardless of where you are in your cancer journey, OneVillage is here to help. OneVillage is dedicated to providing the support, information, goods, and services that cancer patients need. Whether you’re wondering how to perform a piriformis syndrome massage or how to prepare for chemotherapy, OneVillage has personalized recommendations on articles, tools, and videos that can make your experience easier. Our OneVillage WishList allows supporters to contribute to a fund for your medical trips and other expenses. If you have any further questions about what OneVillage offers and site features, don’t hesitate to contact us.